Petroleum Jelly is not Your Friend
I grew up in a home where always in eyeshot was the jar of Vaseline, Dixi Peach, or the TCP. These were our most popular go tos. Vaseline is a popular brand name for Petroleum Jelly and the Dixi Peach, is a hair pomade made with Lanolin (also called wool wax or wool grease, a wax secreted by the sebaceous glands of wool-bearing animals), and Petroleum jelly. Both made with Petroleum jelly.
In our home Vaseline was used on bruises, burns, our lips, our skin, our hair and babies’ bums. It never occurred to us that this perceived innocuous substance could do us harm. Well you live and learn.
Petroleum Jelly is a derivative of oil refining; a by-product of the oil industry found coating the bottom of oil rigs. It’s a by-product of fossil fuels. That in itself is worrying. It is still commonly used topically to cure everything from dehydrated, flaky skin to diaper rash. However, what we now know is that Petroleum Jelly creates the illusion of moisturized, hydrated skin, all the while suffocating your pores. It is a water-repellent so merely seals the barrier so that moisture does not leave the skin but is adds no moisture. It adds nothing. It does not nourish your skin.
According to an article from Naturallivingideas.com, petroleum Jelly may be carcinogenic. They write
‘…. Earning a health hazard rank of 4 by the EWG, petroleum jelly is highly susceptible to contamination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Exposure to PAHs can occur through inhaling the incomplete burning of coal, oil, wood, and paraffin wax candles, but PAHs can also enter the body through contact with the skin. Once PAHs enter the body, they are stored in the kidneys, liver, and fat; bodily tissues change PAHs into many different substances – some of which are harmful to human health. Of the more than 100 kinds of PAHs, 15 are reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens.’ (10/10/2017)
The bottom line there are healthy alternatives, like our Sknhr products a loving combination of Shea Butter, Coconut and Avocado oil.
Be safe with your natural products.
Recently I read about a woman from Arizona who lost her eyes and part of her brain to a rare fungal Infection and was in danger of losing her life. Jessica Weldon, 34, was diagnosed with the infection just months after being married. She believed she had a sinus infection, doctors ran some tests, and found out that she had mucormycosis.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the rare fungal infection is frequently life-threatening, with an overall mortality rate of 54 percent.
The point of this post is not to alarm anyone but to draw our attention to the need to ensure that our quest for natural skin and hair products are not putting our health at risk. Our skin is an effective and barrier to many of the toxins we encounter, but it also absorbs. In a Barcelona hospital, five intensive care patients became infected with a deadly bacteria called burkholderia cepacia (B. cepacia). Officials traced the illness to a moisturizing body milk used in the patients’ care. So the bottom line is we need to ensure that we are not inadvertently introducing toxins to our body.
Cosmetics are an ideal environment for microbes to grow, the more natural the better. Fungi infections of the skin are common and include athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, and yeast infections so we need to ensure products we use are preserved as not to play a part in passing on any infections.
Therefore, as much as we at SKNHR love our products as natural as possible, we work to ensure they remain safe. We at SKNHR recognise that preservatives are essential, to help prevent microbes (bacteria, mould, and yeast) growing. We use a combination of preservatives to give us a broader spectrum for keeping microbes at bay.
All our products have under gone Product Safety Assessments, including microbiology testing, by a reputable laboratory, staffed by competent pharmacologists.
It’s official, I have a blog and I know how to use it.
All would agree that our children deserve the best care. Yet unknowingly many of us are slowly poisoning our children with the products we use daily on their skin, and hair. I was shocked to learn that there is strong link between the products we put in our girl’s hair and them experiencing early puberty.
The blackdoctor.org reported on a report, Natural Evolutions (2016): One Hair Story, documenting the dangers of the cosmetology industry. It states,
“Girls who reported using chemical hair oils and hair perms were 1.4 times more likely to experience early puberty after adjusting for race, ethnicity, and year of birth. In addition, other studies have linked early puberty to hair detangler use by Black girls. In one of the studies African American girls as young as two years old started showing signs of puberty after using products containing animal placenta found in many detanglers and conditioners.”