Be safe with your natural products.
Recently I read about a woman from Arizona who lost her eyes and part of her brain to a rare fungal Infection and was in danger of losing her life. Jessica Weldon, 34, was diagnosed with the infection just months after being married. She believed she had a sinus infection, doctors ran some tests, and found out that she had mucormycosis.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the rare fungal infection is frequently life-threatening, with an overall mortality rate of 54 percent.
The point of this post is not to alarm anyone but to draw our attention to the need to ensure that our quest for natural skin and hair products are not putting our health at risk. Our skin is an effective and barrier to many of the toxins we encounter, but it also absorbs. In a Barcelona hospital, five intensive care patients became infected with a deadly bacteria called burkholderia cepacia (B. cepacia). Officials traced the illness to a moisturizing body milk used in the patients’ care. So the bottom line is we need to ensure that we are not inadvertently introducing toxins to our body.
Cosmetics are an ideal environment for microbes to grow, the more natural the better. Fungi infections of the skin are common and include athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, and yeast infections so we need to ensure products we use are preserved as not to play a part in passing on any infections.
Therefore, as much as we at SKNHR love our products as natural as possible, we work to ensure they remain safe. We at SKNHR recognise that preservatives are essential, to help prevent microbes (bacteria, mould, and yeast) growing. We use a combination of preservatives to give us a broader spectrum for keeping microbes at bay.
All our products have under gone Product Safety Assessments, including microbiology testing, by a reputable laboratory, staffed by competent pharmacologists.